Would I benefit from an online course for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors (BFRBs)?
It can be hard to know whether it’s best to take an online course for Body-Focused Repetitive Behaviors (BFRBs) or receive face-to-face services. If you’re trying to make that decision, this article is for you!
Though it would be great if mental health services were widely accessible both geographically and economically, I’m sure most of us know that they simply are not. This is why online courses are so incredibly helpful: no matter where you are, you can access quality information and treatment for specialized things such as BFRBs.
Of course, an online course will require a little more self-accountability than seeing an in-person therapist would. Here are a few questions to ask yourself to help come to a conclusion on whether an online BFRB course would suit you:
- Are you self-motivated? You are fed up with BFRBs consuming you and taking up so much space in your life. You are ready to tackle the underlying root of them without the structure of weekly therapy.
- Do you feel ready to get better from BFRBs but need guidance? Perhaps you are well-educated on BFRBs and OCD, but need some advice on how the information applies to your specific experience. Perhaps you have already seen a therapist but would like the option to fine-tune here and there.
- Are therapists who specialize in BFRBs many miles or hours away from you? If seeing someone in-person is not currently an option, you still deserve to get help. An online course is a great tool for getting you on the right track and moving closer to your treatment goals.
- Are you ready to do hard things?! Like I always say, it is a beautiful day to do hard things! Seeking help can feel scary and vulnerable, but it can’t be worse than continuing to be consumed by BFRBs and OCD. There is no better treatment for these things than staring them in the eye.
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, an online course in BFRBs may be right for you.
To get an idea of what you’ll be learning, listed below are the course modules:
- Introduction & How to Use This Course
- Welcome to BFRB School!
- Becoming Aware: Introduction to Awareness Logs
- Correcting Errors in Thinking (Cognitive Errors)
- Introduction to Mindfulness Skills
- Mindfulness Skill #1: The Skill of Observing
- Mindfulness Skill #2: Being Present
- Mindfulness Skill #3: Acceptance
- Mindfulness Skill #4: Beginner’s Mind
- Mindfulness Skill #5: Non-Judgement
- Mindfulness Skill #6: Willingness
- Changing Behaviors: Habit Blockers and Competing Responses
- Changing Behaviors: Correcting Problematic Behavioral Chains
- Fine-Tuning Behaviors: Using Behavioral Awareness Logs
- Healthy Mind Platter
- Healthy Lifestyle Tricks!
- Radical Self-Acceptance
- Course Wrap-Up
- Congratulations! What to do now?
- Exit Assessment